The middle of the 19th century saw the development of a new industry in the Abitibi-Témiscamingue region: the logging industry, and the early 1860s marked the beginning of steady exploitation of forestland in the Témiscamingue. Opémican played an important role in the development of the industry. The site, known and used by Aboriginal peoples for several hundred years, served in the early 19th century as a fur-trading relay for the Hudson's Bay Company. With the development of the logging industry, the Opémican site was operated as a timber depot, rafting camp and supply centre for logging operations in the region. In 1883, an influx of newcomers due to more intensive timber harvesting and settlement led to the addition of an inn and a general store. In 1888, a second store was opened along with a post office. The Upper Ottawa Improvement Co. acquired the facilities in 1904 and installed its administration centre as well as a repair shop for its tugboats. The site discontinued its activities in 1970 with the end of log-rafting on Lake Timiskaming.
The Opémican log-rafting relay was designated as an historic site by the Québec government in 1983.